Monday, March 1, 2010

Spaghetti Parmesean (formaly known as Tom Cruise Spaghetti)

I already have some spaghetti cooked and frozen, and we just bought bacon that was on sale w/ a coupon. I thought to prep this for my weekly 30somthings Woman's small group. I didn't think I could really freeze this meal all combined and cooked because I think it just won't taste the same as when it's freshly made due to the eggs....but I looked it up and this article says that you can freeze beaten eggs. I think I will try some and see. I_Can_Freeze_That


Here I am browning the 1lbs of the bacon I diced up. I browned 1lb. at a time because I did not want to boil the bacon but to crisp it up and render majority of the fat. I then drained the crisp bacon into my trusty aluminum pan lined with paper towels.



Next I used about 2 cups of the onions I had pre-diced and added sliced fresh mushrooms to the skillet to cook till they were translucent. I then added the mushroom/onion mixture to the pan of dried bacon and mixed. As soon as it cooled...I transferred the mix into a large Zip bag.

How this dish was named...It's been years ago now...Tom Cruise was a guest on Oprah (like for the billionth time) and at the time he was dating Penelope Cruz..."Cruise/Cruz".  Anyway Oprah asked Tom...what does he like to cook at home for Penelope that she loved to eat?..and so I being the adoring fan that I am of the "Cruise/Cruz" couple...perked up and paid attention...not enought to really remember what he called the dish, but as I've seen in other recipe's with the same ingredients...this dish is likened to the Italian's Spaghetti Carbonara...ah it's all the same to me so I think Tom was cooking along the lines as Tyler is in his recipe...
tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara...BUT what I did was substitute the pricey ingredients with the ingredients I usually always have on hand.

Panchetta = Bacon
Freshley Grated Parmesan-Reggiano Cheese = Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese
and I thought to use onions, added sliced mushrooms, and used house seasoning in place of the fresh cloves of garlic.

So Tom cooked this on the Oprah show. I modified it to be more user friendly for my kitchen, and thus was born what I called Tom Cruise's Spaghetti.
A few years later he is jumping on Oprah's couch declaring his love for (his 16 year junior) Katie Holmes...that didn't bother me much until he got started adamantly endorsing Scientology and disapproving Brooke Shields for her abuse of her star power to endorse drugs for her PP Depression. (I suffer from depression and there has been a time where medication was the only option to getting out of the pit of despair.) So needless to say I have not been much of his fan since then. And to call this delightful dish after him would ruin the taste of it...at least in my mouth. My family could care less...they inhale it!

No comments:

Post a Comment