Monday, March 1, 2010

Mochicko Chicken, a little taste of Hawaii!

Grew up eating this in plate lunches, but not until just recently did I make this for my hapa-haole family. They ate it like they'd been starved to death. So ONO as they say in Hawaii.


So for two batches I used an entire tray of chicken thighs, it's pricier but we buy the wholesale club vacuumed sealed chicken. I won't go back to the clustered tray of chicken meat that I'd have to individually repack to freeze. I inevitably always forget to divvy them up right away so it goes to spoil in the refrigerator or I just shove into the freezer, thus I end up with an entire tray frozen SOLID. So yes, I will pay for the convenience of having the portions individually vacuumed sealed, neat and tidy.

I was out of Mochicko flour (kinda funny that I'd be out of the ingredient that hence the name of the dish) so I just used cornstarch. The substitution is not noticeable.


Mochiko Chicken
5 Packs chicken thighs, skinned, deboned and cut into bite size pieces. (or chicken wings)
4 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup shoyu = 10 TBS
8 tablespoons Mochiko flour = heaping 1/2 cup
8 tablespoons cornstarch = heaping 1/2 cup
6 tablespoons sugar = 1/2 cup
1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped = 2 lg. stalks
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
oil for frying
Mix everything (except chicken and oil). Marinate chicken for 5 hours or overnight in refrigerator. Fry chicken in 1-inch hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Cool and cut into slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment